With the summer heat waves coming, sometimes the last thing we want to do is fire up the stove to whip up the side dish we promised our friend we’d bring to their BBQ. Here are three easy side dish recipes, that don’t sacrifice on taste, to keep your kitchen and A/C bill cool.
3 Beans in a Pod:
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/3 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a large bowl, combines beans, tomato, onion, celery & peppers. In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients and slowly stir into bean mixtures. Cover & refrigerate a few hours before serving. We suggest pairing with tortilla chips as a dip option!
“That Good” Grape Salad:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 pounds seedless red grapes
- 2 pounds seedless green grapes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add grapes and toss to coat. Transfer to your fanciest serving bowl and garnish with chopped walnuts (optional). Best served chilled. Warning: This dish will have your friends requesting “That Good” grape salad for every event.
Ruby Red Slaw:
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup prepared raspberry vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots. In a small bowl, whisk the vinaigrette, mayonnaise and pepper until mixed. Add to cabbage mixture, toss to coat. Chill before serving and top with fresh raspberries!
Which one will you try first? If you’re like us, it’s hard to choose but you’re in luck! The Market has all you need to make them all this summer.
Find a location near you today: mymarketstores.com/store-locator