It seems like summer is determined to fly by in a blur this year but have no fear. We have a recipe for you that will keep summer around for just a little bit longer. These little blueberry basil hand pies are our attempt to seize the season, especially since the window for finding fresh blueberries seems to be so short this time of year. Give these summertime pastries a try and we are sure they will chase away those end of summer blues.
Basic Pie Crust:
• 2 cups flour
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ cup chilled butter, cubed
• ½ cup chilled shortening, cubed
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 tbsp white vinegar
• 3-4 tbsp ice-cold water
• 3 cups fresh blueberries
• ¼ cup sugar
• 2 tbsp cornstarch
• 2 tbsp finely minced fresh basil
• 2 tsp lime juice
• ½ tsp lime zest
• 1 egg
Prepare the Dough:
- Stir together flour and salt until combined.
- Cut in butter and shortening until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the egg yolk and vinegar, then add
water by the tablespoon until the dough just starts to come together.
- Divide the dough into two equal halves. Wrap each one tightly with plastic wrap, shaping into a flat
disc. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
Prepare the Filling:
- In a second bowl, gently stir together the blueberries, cornstarch, basil, lime juice and lime zest until combined. Set aside.
Assemble the Pies:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the first disc of pie dough to ⅛” thick. Cut out into 5″
rounds. Repeat with the second disc of dough.
- In a small bowl, prepare the egg wash by whisking together the egg and ice water. Using a pastry
brush, run a line of egg wash along the borders of a dough circle. Spoon a generously mounded
tablespoon of filling into the middle of the dough, then fold over to enclose the filling and press
tightly shut using your fingers. Using a fork, crimp the edge to seal completely. Repeat with the
- Transfer the pies to parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush the top of each pie with egg wash and
sprinkle with a generous amount of sugar.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, poke two or three holes into the top of each pie to vent the steam.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling
out from the vents. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving or let cool completely