Summer is here and there is no better time to get outside and make use of your grill. When you think of
grilling you usually think of a burger and a hotdog, but (in our opinion) Shish Kabobs are a classic
summer grilling must have! At The Market we have the freshest vegetables, meats, and even fruits to
build the perfect kabob and we thought it was time to put a spin on a classic and show off your grill
master skills. Here is a unique Hawaiian bacon pineapple chicken kabob that we would like you to give a
try next time you fire up your grill:
• 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
• 1/2 cup soy sauce
• 1/4 cup pineapple juice
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
• 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1 pound chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
• 16 pieces of cut bacon (2 1/2 inch x 1-inch).
• 3 cups fresh cubed pineapple
• 1 large red pepper diced into 1-inch pieces
• 1 large green pepper diced into 1-inch pieces
• 1 large red onion diced into 1-inch pieces
• Salt and cracked pepper to taste
- If using wooden skewers, make sure to pre-soak them in water to prevent burning.
- Mix the BBQ sauce together with the soy sauce, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, garlic and sesame
oil in a large jug or bowl.
- Preheat a grill pan (or grill plates on the BBQ) over medium-high heat.
- Thread the red onion, red pepper, pineapple, green pepper, bacon and chicken onto skewers,
wrapping the bacon around the chicken as pictured above. Repeat until all the chicken has been
used. Coat skewers evenly with HALF of the marinade (reserve other HALF for basting).
- Brush grill pan or grates over with olive oil. Grill the skewers for 5 minutes; brush over 1/4 cup
of reserved marinade. Turn skewers over and coat with remaining 1/4 cup of marinade. Grill for
a further 4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and to your liking. Serve immediately.